Car wheels get the most abuse from the road than almost any other part of the car. Hitting potholes, curbs and other objects, can cause damage to the sides of your aluminum wheels. If these damages are repaired, the damage can cause the wheel to rust, which will eventually reduce the strength and integrity of the rim. You should always try to repair curb damage as soon as it happens to reduce the risk of rusting. Follow these simple steps to repair aluminum wheels that have curb damage.
What You’ll Need
- Liquid soap
- Masking tape
- Aluminum paint that matches the color of your wheel
- High-gloss clear lacquer
- 400, 600 and 1200 grit sandpaper
- Aluminum polish
- Old towel
- Using liquid soap and warm water, thoroughly clean the damaged wheel. Allow the wheel to dry completely before continuing.
- Soak an old towel in paint thinner and rub it onto the damaged area of the wheel. This will help to remove old wax and road grime. Wash the wheel twice with the soapy solution to remove any excess paint thinner and allow the wheel to dry.
- Use masking tape to cover the areas of the rim that are not damaged.
- Using 400 grit sandpaper gently sand the damaged area of the wheel. Once grooves have begun to form and the area is rough, stop standing.
- Cover all scratched areas with Bondo putty and allow the area to dry for five minutes.
- Gently sand the putty with 600 grit sandpaper until smooth.
- Cover the rest of the wheel and tire with masking tape to prevent overspray when you apply the paint and/or lacquer.
- Apply thin layers of paint until the putty is completely covered and allow drying completely.
- After the paint has dried, use 1200 grit sandpaper to smooth the surface of the area repaired.
- Wash the painted area with soap and water and allow complete drying.
- Spray the clear lacquer on the painted area of the wheel and allow the lacquer to dry overnight.
- Remove the masking tape and wash the entire wheel.
- Use a soft, dry cloth to apply aluminum polish to the entire wheel to blend the shine.
Taking good care of your aluminum wheel rims is an essential part of keeping your car looking its best. If you're looking for the best aluminum wheels in Michigan, contact the team at Superior Industries International today. We have all your aluminum wheel technology needs!